I grow mint and thyme at home for cooking or making Labneh, my latest favorite dish. It grows easily and needs little care. One morning I woke up feeling sick and groggy. I made an infusion with mint thyme, and honey: The steam of the hot tea unclogged my nose and provided immediate relief! The herbal tea slowly released its therapeutic benefits as I kept on drinking the potion throughout the day. In the evening, my sore throat was already better, and the coughing was gone. After a deep and long sleep thanks to a nice Lavender oil massage, the next morning, I woke up recovered and happy to be back !
My 5 golden pillars whenever I feel weak and feel that a flu is on its way:
1- Rest and sleep as much as I need- NO alarm clock!
2- Drink lots of water and herbal tea throughout the day and eat healthy
3- No work- some meditation
4- Take a sun bath for 15-20 minutes
5- Get a good massage
- Thyme is traditionally used to treat respiratory infections such as flus and colds. More about Thyme's healing properties throughout history here.
- Mint: It's strong aroma is very effective in clearing up congestion of the nose, throat, bronchi and lungs, which gives relief for respiratory disorders that often result from asthma and the common cold. Read more about the health benefits of mint.
- Honey: Has apparently potent anti-influenza properties.
How to make your herbal tea:
1) Put lots of mint leaves and a few thyme stalks in a mug
2) Pour over water that’s just off the boil
3) Cover your mug and let it steep to prevent the therapeutic essential oils to evaporate
4) Infuse for about 10 minutes
5) Sweeten with some honey and ENJOY!